Monday, October 8, 2012

Unker Cooks : Banana Sorbet

So let's talk about ice cream today...

Do you know hor?? That majority of Malaysians don't know that they've been having FAKE ice cream? Yeah... you read that right... FAKE... TIPU... PALSU....

"Unker Ho ah.... you sure or not? Don't simply tok kok sing song here laa..... why fake leh?? "

Ahhh...  you see... Initially, I'm also as ignorant as the public, and bought my ice cream based on two criteria only:

  • Flavour
  • Price


So... most of the time I would just buy whatever that's chocolate or vanilla and less than RM10 per box. Certain famous brands come to mind but let's not name names for the sake of names :D

This is until when an American expat in my company told me that those were not ice-cream.

I asked why.

"There's no milk in the ingredients!"

So one day I went to the neighbourhood supermarket and took a look at the ingredients of a certain dinding brand chocolate ice cream.

Wah... my expat colleague was right! Those type of cheap ice cream are made from hydrogenated vegetable oils.... and ZERO milk. It also contains flavouring, preservatives and lots of sugar. That's fake ice cream!

Consuming such things regularly will only give you one thing = High Sugar level and fat.


I was totally turned off from those cheap ice cream after that and never bought them ever again.

"So anjua? Where to buy HEALTHY ice cream ah?"

Actually, it's not very far to get good healthy ice cream. However, as milk is a controlled item by our lovely government of Malaysia, they can be pretty pricy. I think by now you should know what brands I'm talking about...

So as far as I know from my personal experience, these places sell ice-cream that are made from real MILK:

  • New Zealand Natural
  • Haagen Dasz
  • Baskin & Robins 


When I was in Austin, Texas, I was spoilt for choice when it comes to enjoying these real deal ice cream. I guess it's still a long way to go for Malaysia. I mean, not everybody can afford a RM28++ / tub ice cream :(

ANYWAY.... since we're on the topic of ice cream. Let me share with you an extremely simply recipe for a homemade sorbet.

"Eh? Sorbet is what ah?"

Ahh... in case you don't know, sorbets are ice-cream without milk! Ha ha...

So... cut the crap and get to the chase, here's the recipe for:

Jin Jia Tok™ Banana Sorbet


What you need lah?

There are only two ingredients needed for this sorbet (enough to share amongst 2 adults)
  • 2 ripe bananas (I used Dole bananas but I highly recommend 3-4 pisang emas as they're sweeter)
  • Vanilla essence extract

What you do with them lah?

Firstly, make sure the bananas are ripe, then throw them into the freezer. Make sure they turn rock hard and icy cold. It's okay if the skin turns brown, you don't eat the skin.


Next comes what seems to be the hardest part of the recipe, you need to peel off the frozen skin. It takes some effort because your fingers will BURN from the icy cold skin. I used a knife to help me with it..


After that, dice the banana into half inch chunks and throw all of them into a high torque, high power, high RPM super power blender you can buy from iFoodEx™ at PISA.


Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence extract too. It's okay if you don't. 
Add some water into the blender and start blending. Use a spoon to stir it once a while to ensure that all the banana are blended into a creamy paste..


By now the sorbet is almost ready. Scoop everything into a bowl and put it back into the freezer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour. 

When your kids cannot wait anymore and start crying... take out the bowl and sprinkle whatever you wish on top. 

For me I garnish with sunflower seed kernels and also golden raisins. I recommend chocolate rice because chocolates & bananas goes very well with each other.



DONE !!!!


1 comment: